The City of Somerton operates under a Mayor and Council form of government. The City Council appoints the city manager to serve as the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Financial Officer, and City Clerk of the City.
The city manager is responsible for developing the annual budget, advising the council on policy issues, and carrying our council’s policy direction through the day-to-day management and operations of all City departments, which include:
- Public Works
- Community Development
- Economic Development
- Parks and Recreation
- City Prosecutor
- Chief Personnel Officer
- Information Technology
- Finance Department
In addition to overseeing citywide operations, the City Manager also is the City of Somerton representative. The role and responsibilities of the city manager are defined in the city ordinance and state law.
City Manager Jerry Cabrera has worked with the City of Somerton and Somerton School District at all levels of operations, including health care with our local Regional Center for Border Health.
During his professional career, he has served as:
- Project Manager for the City of Somerton
- Assistant Superintendent and Project Manager for Somerton School District
- Appointed by City of Somerton Council to serve in the Industrial Development Authority and Planning and Zoning Commission
- Appointed by Yuma County Supervisor as Yuma County Redistricting Commissioner
- Served in the Yuma Community Food Bank Board, Somerton Rotarian Past President, Yuma County Justice Board, and Yuma Community Foundation Board
As the City Manager, Jerry serves on the executive board of Yuma County Intergovernmental Public Transportation Authority and Yuma County HOME Consortium.
The city Clerk office provides a variety of information, services, and support to City Staff, elected officials, and the public at large. The Somerton City Clerk's office takes pride in providing the services listed below:
- Records Management
- Code updates
- Preparation and distribution of City Council Agendas
- Minutes of Council meetings
- Support to Mayor and City Council
- Provide information to the public in an efficient and timely manner
Somerton City Hall
143 N. State Ave.
Monday through Friday
7:00 am to 6:00 pm
If you need more information on any of these services, please feel free to stop by during office hours or call us at