The main purpose of this Division is to provide inspections for new construction, buildings and remodeling of structures for compliance with the local, state and federal laws.
Plan reviews of new construction, additions or remodels are also handled by this division. Once construction plans are reviewed and approved, a building permit will be issued by this division. (Plan Review Permitting Timeframes)
Current Building Codes:
- 2003 International Building Code
- 2003 International Residential Code
- 2003 Internatioanl Property Maintenance Code
- 1991 Uniform Mechanical Code with Appendices
- 1990 National Electric Code
- 1991 Uniform Plumbing Code with Appendices
- 1997 Uniform Building Code for the Abatement of Dangerous Buildings
- 2012 NFPA Fire Code
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Existing Building Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool & Spa Code
- 2018 National Fire Protection Association Code
- 2014 National Electrical Code NFPA-70
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2012 International Mechanical Code
- 2012 International Plumbing Code
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code
Once the building permit has been issued, inspections can be scheduled. After all inspections are completed a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued as the final step in the process.
Building Inspections need to be scheduled 24 hrs in advance. To schedule a building inspection, call (928) 722-7399.
Code enforcement is an integral part of the job in this division to maintain our community as healthy, clean, safe and attractive as possible and to ensure compliance throughout the City.
When a complaint is made to our division, the caller may chose to leave their name only if they wish. All calls are considered confidential and no personal information is needed to make a complaint. Inoperable vehicles, accumulation of litter, overgrown trees and shrubs, and construction or remodel without proper building permit are the most common violations within the City.
Once the complaint is received, an inspection is conducted to verify that a code violation does exist; the inspector will make an effort to contact the owner of the property where the violation has occurred to correct the problem. A Notice of Violation will be issued and the property owner will have a determined time-period to correct the issue(s). If the property has not come into compliance at the end of the time-period, a citation will be issued.
A possible violation to the City code can be reported to the contact below.
Building Safety and Code Enforcement Office
143 N. State Ave. (2nd Floor)
Somerton, AZ 85350
Office: (928) 722-7399
Fax: (928) 627-3794
8am-5pm, Monday through Friday
CLOSED, Saturday & Sunday
Schedule a Building Inspection
Please call (928) 722-7399 before 5PM, Monday - Friday, to schedule an inspection or email Maria Ybarra, Permit Technician.
Department Fee Schedules
Development Impact Fees Schedule
Building Permit Fee - 2015 Valuation Data
Building Permit (Block Wall, APS/GAS Clearances, A/C & Water Heater Replacement)
Commercial / Multi-Family / ADDITION
Manufacture Home Installation
Block Wall Specifications
Yard Sale Application
Yard Sale Application (Spanish)
General Building Permit Application